Surviving the Summer Heat
Surviving the Summer Heat
It’s that time of year again – for fun summer vacations and soaring temperatures. Whether you’re traveling to a warmer climate for your next locums assignment or staying in your own backyard, it’s important to remember how you and your family can stay safe in the summer heat.
- Stay hydrated! Drink plenty of fluids throughout the day and avoid drinks with caffeine or alcohol.
- Eat lighter meals that are easier to digest and try to incorporate foods with a high water content, like fruits and vegetables.
- Wear loose-fitting, lightweight light-colored clothing and cover as much skin as possible. Dark clothes only absorb the sun’s rays. Make sure you pack accordingly!
- Stay indoors as often as possible and avoid extreme temperature changes.
- Avoid strenuous activity and outdoor play or limit it to the cooler parts of the day – early in the morning or late in the evening, after peak hours of sun exposure (usually 11 AM to 4 PM).
- Remember to use sunscreen when outdoors to keep your skin protected
and guard against painful burns.
- Use a buddy system when spending time outdoors and make sure everyone is staying properly hydrated. Keep an eye out for signs of heat exhaustion and heat stroke and make sure everyone is aware of them.
- Never leave pets or children in cars as temperatures can quickly rise to 120 degrees. Here’s more information for pet owners.
- Make sure animals have plenty of cool water and aren’t suffering from the heat. Keep them in the shade or indoors whenever possible.
- Check on family, friends, and neighbors who don’t have air conditioning or may be at risk in the heat and make sure they’re
Check out more information from the American Red Cross on weather preparedness. Download the Weather Channel app or Emergency: Alerts and Notifications app from the Red Cross (available on iOS and Android) or text “GETEMERGENCY” to 90999 for updates on changing weather conditions and heat advisories.
Working locum tenens can provide great opportunities to travel and enjoy time with family or friends while working a predictable schedule and generating extra income- like a vacation that pays for itself. We want you to be able to make the most of it and stay happy and healthy along the way. The experts on our concierge team are here to translate your wishes for the summer into a reality. We’ll help you find jobs close to family or attractions you’d like to visit, recommend the best activities to try wherever you’re located, and find schedules that fit your needs while still leaving time to make the most of your summer. Talk to us today, and we’ll make sure you don’t just survive the summer; you’ll have a great time too.
Have more tips for beating the heat or staying safe with increased sun exposure? (Are there any dermatologists in the house?) Have recommendations for the best indoor activities for families? Make sure to share in the comments